Thursday, June 23, 2011

Back to work

I've been back at work for a week and a half now, and as everyone told me...the build-up and anticipation is waaaay worse than actually being here!

I love my job, and the people I work with--I honestly couldn't ask for a better place to work. However, I am one of those women who could easily be a stay-at-home mom and never look back. I don't need a career to be "fulfilled", and I wouldn't get bored at home. We'd find playgroups and stuff to do to keep us busy - and I'd actually have time to keep the house clean, without feeling like it's my second job! But, the bills must be paid, so until daycare costs exceed my income, then I must work.

I dreaded coming back from the very first day of my maternity leave, which was 4 days before Zoey was born. (And again, it wasn't because I didn't like work...it was because I was already dreading leaving my baby!) The 12 weeks I was able to take off were glorious, and went way too fast (even though those first couple of sleep-deprived weeks seemed to drag on forever!), but we got a lot accomplished during that time. We had three rounds of house guests, trips to Oklahoma and St. Louis, an afternoon in Fargo to visit the Easter Bunny, lots of stroller rides on pretty days, and several lunch dates with Daddy. Once I was within a couple of weeks of returning to work, however, I had a bad attitude and absolutely DREADED the day I had to come back.

I wasn't worried about Zoey - my mom is watching her until the end of August - I knew she would do just fine. I just didn't want to leave her, and I wasn't looking forward to getting back into the swing of things at work and catching up projects and goings-on that I missed over the past 12 weeks. I guess all those good thoughts and prayers from friends and family worked wonders, though...my transition back has been smooth as silk, and I've actually enjoyed being back. I miss my little girl with every ounce of my being all day when I'm gone, but I know she's being well taken care of, and maybe one day I'll be able to stay home with her and her future siblings.

So, all this was to say that if you're in the same boat...dreading returning to work after maternity leave...it's really not that bad. Don't be like me--don't waste your last couple of weeks moping around. Enjoy every bit of your time off and know that everything will turn out alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment