Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Call me crazy...

...but we're making the switch from disposable to cloth diapers!

This is something I've been interested in ever since before I was pregnant, but I never really did all the research because the one thing holding me back was my fear of cleaning out poop! Well, after talking to a few friends who CD full-time, we (mostly I) decided this was the way to go, poop and all. We're spending exorbitant amounts of money in diapers already (we haven't had luck with the generics, and even with Amazon Mom and S&S discounts on the brand names, I'm still spending $40+ a month)...not to mention the waste. We religiously recycle everything, yet we're throwing out practically a dumpster full of diapers every month...yuck!

I kinda-sorta-mostly convinced Aaron last night that cloth is the way to go, and determined we would definitely save money in the long run. I did some more research and decided I liked the all-in-ones (AIOs) the best. They basically are just like a disposable ("sposie" in the cloth diapering world) that you wash. There are no separate or removable parts. But, there are some downsides, so we're mostly going with AI2s/pockets. These go on pretty much like a sposie or an AIO, but the liners come out, which I think is good. That way, I can replace the liners, if necessary, without having to replace the whole diaper. (Liners are cheap, diapers are not!)

Our diaper order won't be ready for another 2-3 weeks, so in the meantime, I'm reading more and trying to figure out a laundry and storage routine for them. I promise lots of pictures of Zoey's fluffy bum when she starts wearing them! The lady I ordered from is even throwing in an embroidered t-shirt to match one of the diapers, so that will be extra cute. :-)

Here's an example of type of diaper we're getting...the cuteness just kills me! :-p



P.S.  If you're a CD mama, or you're just interested and like to win free stuff, check out Knocked Up and Nursing's Bee-Bop Baby cloth diaper giveaway!

1 comment:

  1. That diaper is adorable! Where did you order it from? By the way, I found your blog via the March 2011 Bumpies group on FB. I'm from your neck of the woods. :)

    ReplyDelete