Monday, August 8, 2011

Homemade laundry soap!

I feel like little miss Suzy Homemaker or something now (or Michelle Duggar, lol!), but I just made my first batch of homemade laundry soap! You wouldn't believe how cheap and EASY it is!

I found all the ingredients at Wal-Mart, and spent $7.24 total, which included 2 bars of Fels-Naptha soap (don't worry, I'd never heard of it, either), a box of Borax, and a box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. All of those things were found in pretty close proximity on the detergent aisle. I made a double-batch, and still have tons of the Borax and washing soda left for future batches.

Laundry Soap

1 bar Fels-Naptha soap, grated
1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm & Hammer washing soda

Stir ingredients together in large storage container (that can be sealed). Use 2 tbsp per load for non-HE machines, or 1 tbsp for HE.

The friend I got this recipe from said once in awhile, she feels the need to use vinegar in the rinse cycle (she just puts it in the fabric softener dispenser on her washer), but otherwise, she LOVES this detergent! I'm excited to try it out, and super-excited because it's sooooo much cheaper than the regular stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment